Effective Date : September 1st, 2019
“Personal Information” refers to information about an identified or identifiable individual; that is, information that used to identify you.
and its service providers collect Personal Information from you through the Sites, including both directly from you and automatically as a result of your use of the Sites as further explained below.
You have choices about the data we collect. We collect Personal Information when you voluntarily submit such information, for example by signing up to donate. In addition, if you are asked to provide data, you may decline; but if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide a service or feature, you may not be able to use that service or feature. Depending on the service or Sites you choose, the Personal Information collected may include your name, email address, address, phone number, payment details, organizational affiliation and similar information.
- Information Collected Automatically. When you access, download and/or use the Sites, we collect information about your device and the network you use to access the Sites, as well as information about your use of the Sites. This includes software and hardware attributes of the device used, unique device ID information (such as IMEI numbers for smartphones), regional and language settings, network provider, and IP address, as well as dates and times that you use the Sites, in-bound domain names, the amount of time spent on specific pages, and other similar usage information. This data tells us which pages our users visit and what information they volunteer, such as survey information and/or site registrations.
- Account Registration. When you register for an account, you will be asked to provide some data to us directly, such as your name, gender, country, email address, and login credentials including passwords and other means of authentication.
- Other Information You Provide To Us. We may collect Personal Information from you for a specific purpose, such as to process your donations, provide you with information or services that you request, or to respond to an inquiry. The information collected from you may include your name, telephone number, email address, street address, billing information, region as well as any additional information you choose to enter into the Sites’ forms or “Contact Us” forms, or provide to our representatives.
- Information from Third Parties. We may supplement the information we collect from you with information we collect from and about you from other online and offline sources, such as public databases, social media platforms and from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected on social media platforms. For example, if you choose to connect your social media account to your Site account, certain Personal Information from your social media account will be shared with us. This may include Personal Information that is part of your profile or your friends’ profiles.
Analytics and Links to Third-Party Sites
We will not sell your Information or provide it to third parties for our own financial gain. We only share your Information when such sharing genuinely furthers our charitable mission. Nevertheless, we may employ third party agents or third party service providers to operate the Website and/or to perform functions on our behalf, such as processing donations or store purchases, sending mail and e-mail, and analyzing data or other administrative tasks. These third parties have access to the Information needed to perform their functions. We attempt to limit such third parties to using the Information that is shared with them solely for the purpose of providing such services, however, we cannot be responsible for such third parties’ use of Information not in compliance with this Policy.
Some of the third parties with whom we work include:
Use of Collected Information
Personal Information collected through our Sites is used for the purpose for which it was provided, for example:
- To periodically alert you to Focused Conservation news and events,
- To respond to inquiries and provide requested services,
- To contact you about contests or sweepstakes you entered through our Sites and to invite you to participate in new contests and sweepstakes,
- To customize your web experience or content you receive via email,
- For business operations, including processing donations, marketing and promotional purposes, improving the Sites and our security practices, and for other internal business purposes,
- To encourage social sharing functionality,
- For internal data analysis, for example to identify trends, determine effectiveness of past and current campaigns, enhance current online tools, and plan future digital strategies, and
When other information is collected from you, we generally let you know at the time of collection how we will use the Personal Information. For example, we may use the Personal Information you provide to respond to your inquiry or to process your request.
We may use Non-Personal Information for any purpose, unless restricted by applicable law. In some instances, we may combine Non-Personal Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
Sharing of Collected Information
We do not share your Personal Information with any third parties without your consent, except under the following circumstances:
- to Focused Conservation service providers for the purposes set forth above;
- in response to a subpoena or when we are required to do so by law, for example, in response to a court order or other legal obligation;
- in response to a law enforcement agency’s request;
- to protect the security or confidentiality of our records;
- in special cases when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with our rights;
- or in the event Focused Conservation goes through a reorganization (such as a merger into another organization), in which case you will be notified via a prominent notice on the website of any such transfer of your Personal Information.
Web Analytics, Cookies, and Tracking Technologies
We use third-party analytics providers and methods for tracking users over time and across third-party websites on some of the Sites. The Sites do not currently recognize browser “do not track” (DNT) signals as we are waiting for stakeholders and others to develop standards for how such signals should be interpreted. Third parties, including our service providers, may collect information about your online activities over time and across different websites, including when you visit certain of our Sites. You can learn about how to exercise choice regarding the collection of information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services by visiting www.aboutads.info and www.networkadvertising.org.
- We use Google Analytics, which installs cookies on users’ browsers, to understand the performance of our Sites and content contained within including, but not limited to: number of visits and average time spent either to a single page or the entire site, number of pages viewed per session, or the sequence of pages visited. We may also customize site structure or navigation as well as certain web content based on these data as well as your browser type, bandwidth or other settings to optimize your site experience. Google Analytics also collects information about the devices that are used to access our site, including computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system and version, device manufacturer and model, language, and Internet browser type and version. Google uses these data to report web trends.
- We use third-party services that allow us to serve you advertisements while on participating Sites, based on information relating to your time on our site or similar types of sites, which is tracked through a unique cookie on your browser or tracking pixels (also known as “pixel tags”).
- We use Google Adwords to display text ads at the top of Google keyword searches. Anonymized information on specific keywords typed is provided.
- We use YouTube to host video content on focusedconservation.org. Analytics for this platform include aggregated and anonymized data on length and location of views, basic demographic details, and engagement rates.
Retention of Collected Information
We retain Personal Information collected through the Sites for a reasonable period of time consistent with the purpose for the collection (e.g., to provide the services you request), or for other essential purposes including compliance with applicable laws, dispute resolution, and business operations. These retention periods can vary significantly depending on the type of information collected and the context. For example, we store personal (e.g., name, address, birthday) until you request that we delete it.
We maintain organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us.
To the extent any donations are processed through a third-party service provider, our donors’ information will only be used for purposes necessary to process the donation. Any credit card information supplied online by donors is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. All credit card transactions are processed using computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, and access to personally identifiable information is only authorized for those employees, contractors, and agents who require it to fulfill their job responsibilities.
Your Rights Regarding Collected Information
You have a variety of legal rights regarding the collection, processing, and use of Personal Information. These rights vary depending on applicable law, but may include by way of example:
- The right to know what Personal Information Focused Conservation maintains about you;
- The right to know with whom Focused Conservation has shared Personal Information about you and what Personal Information has been shared;
- The right to receive a copy of your Personal Information held by Focused Conservation; and
- The right to access, correct, update, or delete your Personal Information.
You can also control the type of information collected through our Sites, for example by not accepting cookies from Focused Conservation, by erasing all Focused Conservation cookies from your browser, or by not providing Personal Information when prompted. To opt out of cookies installed by Google Analytics, please see https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Your choice will impact your communications preferences. For example, we will not be able to respond to inquiries when you do not share your email address with us.
Cross Border Transfers
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or service providers, and by using our Sites, you acknowledge that we may transfer Personal Information to countries outside of your country of residence, which may provide for different data protection rules than in your country.
Focused Conservation Solutions
609 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10014
If you correspond with us through the Sites or via email, the information collected may include the content of, and metadata regarding, any correspondence you may have with us. We may share your messages with those within our organization or a third-party vendor or service provider who are most capable of addressing the issues contained in your message. We will keep a copy of your message until we have had an opportunity to address your concerns.